Thursday, July 24, 2014

You can start anywhere with EFT

The beauty of EFT is you can start tapping anywhere. If you feel for example that,
1. EFT is not working for you
2. You don’t know what to say while tapping
3. Things aren’t happening fast enough
4. You can’t tune in to what you’re feeling
5. You get overwhelmed by what you’re feeling
6. You hold beliefs such as “I’m unhelpable” or “I’m difficult or a special case”

You can start by tapping on all the points with (You can include the set up or not, try it without and see does the issue shift, if it doesn’t, try it with the set up. Not making any shifts can mean you have unconscious blocks to getting better, for the moment you don’t have to figure out why, or you can always decide to work with a practitioner who can help you tease them out):

I don’t feel EFT is working for me 
I don’t know what to say (try tapping on how you feel, or how you know you have an issue, if you find it too difficult to say something)
I don’t feel things are happening fast enough and that makes feel … and that makes me feel about myself ….
I can’t tune in to what I’m feeling
I’m overwhelmed by all this
I am/feel unhelpable
I am/feel difficult
I don't know where to start

Another great advantage to working with EFT is that it nearly always leads you to where you want/need to go, just by beginning to tap. There’s a stream of consciousness that follows tapping and issues will daisy chain together with all the seemingly different associations and connections so we can make sense of it all. Again, if aspects feel overwhelming, we can seek the help of a practitioner or a tapping buddy.


In that respect, EFT is very similar in process to EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing). In her book, Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR): Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures, Francine Shapiro talks of a client who did EMDR for freezing on stage. Throughout the session she was asked what body sensations she felt. At one stage, she felt a strange sensation in her back, and it unfolded that she had been molested by her uncle. He had held her down on that spot. The association between the two incidents was her ‘performing’, even though on the surface, the issues did not seem related at all and she had completely forgotten about the abuse.


A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step ~ Lao-tzu

No comments: