Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Sitting quietly with yourself

Sometimes this is the hardest thing to do because we can feel like we want to climb out of our own skin. But if we can have the courage to stay with those difficult emotions and sensations, we increase our capacity to feel them. By feeling them, they dissipate of their own accord naturally. Anxiety is usually years and years and years worth of not feeling our pain.

There is a very good exercise which you can download for free called the 12 second chill from Dr Suzanne Le Combe http://www.myshrink.com/members/12-second-chill-ebook/ It is not a relaxation exercise, but an exercise in increasing your capacity to feel difficult emotions and physical sensations, initially starting with 12 seconds and gradually increasing as and when you feel comfortable.

I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books; I have begun to listen to the teaching my blood whispers to me ~ Herman Hesse

No comments: