Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The best way out is through

The best way out is through ~ Robert Frost

I don't know of any other way out of pain but through. Going around it, avoiding it, pretending it's not there, willing it away or covering it up, creates a labyrinth where we lose our way and can find no exit. The way out takes willingness and the courage to connect with your pain. To finally feel, for the first time, that unexperienced experience which psychiatrist Ivor Browne calls trauma, untangles the confusion and clears our path. We can emerge from our pain with a true sense of who we are.

I believe the only way we can truly know our self is to go through our pain. What I know for sure is that avoiding pain is what keeps us stuck right in the thick of pain. Movement towards our pain, no matter how small, or how slow, is always healing.

There is no coming to consciousness without pain ~ Carl Jung

Clogher Beach, Ballyferriter, Kerry, Ireland


Even though I don't want to go through this …. I accept how I feel

Even though avoiding my pain isn't working, I'm willing to try another way

Even though I'm confused, I trust it will all be ok

TH: I want to avoid …
EB: And that's ok
SE: I understand why I feel that way
UE: I can have compassion for why I feel that way
UN: I know the reasons why I avoid pain
UC: I accept those reasons
CB: I have kindness for myself because of those reasons
UA: It's hard

TH: I don't want …
EB: And that's ok
SE: I can understand why I don't want …
UE: I can have compassion for why I feel that way
UN: I know the reasons why I don't want …
UC: I accept why I don't want …
CB: I have kindness for myself for not wanting …
UA: It's …

TH: I want …
EB: And that's ok
SE: I can understand why I want …
UE: I can have compassion for why I want …
UN: I know the reasons why I want …
UC: I accept why I want …
CB: I have kindness for myself for wanting …
UA: It's …

TH: I choose …
EB: And that's ok
SE: I can understand why I choose …
UE: I can have compassion for why I choose …
UN: I know the reasons why I choose …
UC: I accept why I choose …
CB: I have kindness for myself for choosing …
UA: It's …

4 comments:

trisha said...

you dont look like your intent profle pic in this one. :) there is no similarity at all.

i too believe that we have to live the pain fully to get healed.

love.

Noreen Barron said...

Thanks Trisha. I think it's because the picture is all squashed and stretched. Have a lovely week xx

Mel said...

(Okay, so I'll start again reading back here, since this is where I've left off last...)

TRYING to go through doesn't work, though, either, does it?
*SIGH*

I must NOT neglect to tell you--

Absolutely gorgeous & stirring photo, Noreen.

Happy Easter! xo

Noreen Barron said...

Hope you had a lovely Easter too Melissa xx